giapet

Etsy Shop Name:
giapet
What you sell:
My primary focus is on handmade lampworked beads formed with molten glass in a torch flame. The glass comes in rod form about the diameter of a pencil. My torch runs approximately 1700 degrees, once the glass is soft it is wrapped around a thin metal rod coated with a release agent. This is what makes the hole in the bead. I also create glass candle holders and other art glass pieces done in a kiln. Glass is a medium that you'll never get bored with which is why I'm so obsessed with it. I started out learning how to make stained glass and was quickly drawn to other ways to work with it. I also design and make jewelry with some of my beads.
Tell us about your featured item:
Lately I've been hooked on making conch shells. I start with a base color for the shell and then have to decide what colors to add to it. It is going to be a colorful mix that doesn't exist in real life or realistic looking like this one.
Do you believe there is any relationship between the number of sales a shop makes and the number of hearts they have?
In a small way yes since more exposure should mean more sales in the long run. Downside is many just heart shops left and right to try and get noticed without really checking out the shops they are hearting.
How do you decide on the price of your products?
It a combination of materials costs, my time and what the market bear in my field. Prices on different colored glass varies wildly, pinks and reds used to be the most expensive. Now it is the new glass with heavy silver content that can run as high as $100 a pound.

No comments: