UglyKitty

Etsy Shop Name: UglyKitty

What you sell: I usually like to say that I offer a variety of colorful craft creations, but lately the majority of my work has been focused on custom screen printed wedding invitations and recycled paper address boxes. I have quite a short attention span so I have a tendency to go through phases based on my newest obsession - the current one being stationary, so there are always new items being added.

Tell us about your featured item: My featured item is actually my kitty Quasi. I started the UglyKitty Fund in October 2006 in order to give back to Quasi’s former shelter. In order to keep true to Etsy’s handmade policy, I offer a 1.25” pin in exchange for $1, $5, or $10 donations. Since it’s start the UglyKitty Fund has helped raise over $2300 for the Cool Cats Rescue Shelter in Annapolis, MD.

What do you enjoy most about running your own Etsy shop?

The things I enjoy most about Etsy is that it gives my crafting a purpose. I’ve always loved art and making things, but how many handmade scarves can you give to family members, especially family members that live in California? Etsy has really allowed my artwork to develop and improve. Trying to think of new items to make and sell keeps my mind active, which I’m sure is for the better of all mankind.

What do you dislike most about running your own Etsy shop?

I miss sleeping. I know that if I weren’t working on my shop, I would still be creating, but I definitely miss having down time. There is so much that goes into custom orders, keeping stock, sending packages, and marketing UglyKitty, that I definitely spread myself a little thin sometimes. Regardless of the stresses though, I love ever minute of it!

1 comment:

epr25 said...

This is wonderful! I commend you for caring an doing something about it. I have a 2lb dog that looks like an alien. After him I am only going to adopt the little old or ugly. I think your kitty is cute!